Every year we support over 3000 people across our catchment area of Winchester, Romsey, Totton, Southampton, Eastleigh, Fareham and surrounding areas. We’re now looking to reach out to more people with a terminal illness in our community who may find themselves isolated or are struggling with loneliness. The Hospice Friends service aims to make a real difference by offering support and companionship.
This is where we need you!
Hospice Friends are a network of trained volunteers called companions who are willing to offer their time, companionship and support to people living in their community who are coping with serious illness.
As a Hospice Companion you will:
- Offer companionship, emotional support and a listening ear
- Providing practical help and support in and out of the home
- Helping people stay connected to their friends and the community
- Signposting people to important support services to help them get through this difficult time
How much time do I need to commit?
2-3 hours a week over a period of 6 months or so
What you gain from volunteering in this role
- A direct way to make a difference to someone’s life
- Support a great cause, while giving something back to your community
- To be part of a wider, friendly team.
- Learn new skills and have opportunities for further development
Training and Support provided
- Initial Training
- Support from the Hospice Friends Coordinator
- A big thank you
What we are looking for
- Good communicator including being an active listener
- Has empathy for others and is non judgmental
- Respects diversity and others’ opinions even if they don’t agree
- Wants to make a difference in their local community
You need to be 18+ and undertake a DBS check
Due to the nature of this role, selection will involve an informal chat and successful candidates being invited to attend training in February, so make sure you apply before 18.02.2019.
You can apply online here or contact us for an application form by calling 02380 475312 or emailing email@example.com. For further details of the service email: firstname.lastname@example.org